Thursday, September 24, 2009

September 24, 2009







Ms. Londa Picard


Mapleton, KS 66754-9118





Dear Ms. Picard:



Thank you for contacting me regarding health care reform. I appreciate your taking the time to get in touch.



I understand that the cost of health care is simply unbearable for many Kansas families. President Obama has made health care reform one of his top priorities this year. As a member of the Senate Finance Committee and the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions (HELP) Committee, which share jurisdiction over health care reform, I am grateful to be able to participate in this complex and difficult effort to reform our health care system into one that guarantees meaningful access for all Americans. To that end, I appreciate your advice on this important topic.



Recently, the HELP Committee passed a costly and partisan health care reform proposal that leaves 34 million Americans uninsured and costs taxpayers $2 trillion, while expanding government programs. I voted against this proposal. The latest version of the bill, the Affordable Health Choices Act (S. 1679), can be found at: http://www.congress.gov/.



This proposed bill restricts the health benefits Americans currently have and denies access to doctors and treatments. Kansans would pay for this reform with tax increases. These higher taxes would harm our small businesses that create 70 percent of our jobs. We should not raise taxes on job creators, especially in this challenging economy. This massive government expansion would also be paid for on the backs of our seniors via cuts to Medicare.



I will continue to call attention to what lurks beneath this banner of 'reform.' I agree that all Americans should have access to affordable and quality health care, but we must take this health care reform process cautiously and seriously. This effort is too important to be done hastily. I am committed to ensuring that whatever reforms are enacted preserve patient access and choice. I oppose a move towards one-size-fits-all medicine and a government takeover of our health care system.


patsig.gif

The Senate Finance Committee will consider its own health care bill before combining it with the HELP Committee bill and sending it to the full Senate for debate and a vote. Again thank you for taking the time to contact me. If you would like more information on issues before the Senate, please visit my website at http://roberts.senate.gov. You may also sign up on my home page for a monthly electronic newsletter that will provide additional updates on my work for Kansas.



With every best wish,



Sincerely,





Pat Roberts

PR:aa

No comments: