Thursday, July 29, 2010

July 29, 2010

Ms. Londa Picard
63 Hackberry Rd
Mapleton, KS 66754-9118

Dear Ms. Picard:

Thank you for your letter regarding immigration. I appreciate your taking the time to share your thoughts.

I appreciate the points you make. Recently, the Governor of Arizona signed into law the Support Our Law Enforcement and Safe Neighborhoods Act. I respect that the Legislature and Governor of Arizona thought that this legislation was the best way to address such a complex issue for the well-being of the people in their state.

On the federal level, the first step to immigration reform is border security. In addition, I do not support granting amnesty to illegal immigrants. It is clear that we must focus on border security to end the influx of illegal immigrants entering the United States. We must ensure that the Department of Homeland Security has adequate resources to strengthen the security of our border. With this in mind, Congress passed and the president signed H.R. 2892, the 2010 Department of Homeland Security Appropriations Act (P.L. 111-83). I supported this bill that provides $800 million in funding for border security fencing, infrastructure, and technology. It also provides $3.59 billion in funding for border security and control between ports of entry.

Rest assured, I will continue to support legislation that strengths border security and reduces illegal immigration. Again, thank you for taking the time to contact me. If you would like more information on issues before the Senate, please visit my website at http://roberts.senate.gov. You may also sign up on my home page for a monthly electronic newsletter that will provide additional updates on my work for Kansas.

With every best wish,


Sincerely,



Pat Roberts

PR:rm

No comments: