Monday, February 22, 2010

One Year After the Stimulus Kansans Still Ask “Where are the Jobs?”
This week marked the one-year anniversary of President Obama signing into law the $862 billion so-called economic “stimulus” plan. I voted against that plan last year because I thought the bill spent too much money and I did not think it would put Kansans back to work. The White House predicted the bill would create 33,000 jobs in Kansas, but in reality, our state has lost 47,100 over the past year.

The $862 billion so-called stimulus is clearly not the “job creator” that the President claimed, but that does not mean there are not things that can be done. With nearly one in ten Americans out of work it would be irresponsible to turn our backs on job creation now. That is why I have worked on a no-cost jobs plan to provide tax relief to small businesses, to expand trade, to reform the unemployment system to help folks find jobs and to stop the reckless spending in Washington. Click here to read more about the plan I have worked on.

In December, the House passed a second bill which would add another $174 billion to their first failed stimulus bill. There is not yet a final bill in the Senate, but I am hopeful they will take a fiscally responsible, common-sense approach. President Obama is also pledging to work on a jobs plan. As our economy struggles, I will continue working on responsible plans to jumpstart the economy without burying future generations deeper in debt.

I would like to know your thoughts about what should be included in a new jobs bill so I hope you will take my survey that is located in the sidebar of this email.

Relieved that Drew Culberth has Returned Home
Since learning that Topeka firefighter Drew Culberth was one of ten Americans being held in Haiti, my staff and I have worked with the Department of State to ensure that Drew and the other Americans were safe and healthy. After three long weeks, it was great to get word earlier this week that Drew and seven other Americans had been released and were coming back to the United States. This is wonderful news for Drew and his family and friends as well as the entire Topeka community. My continued thoughts and prayers go out to Drew and his family during this challenging time, but it is relieving to have him home in Topeka.

Spending Time in Kansas
It has been wonderful to be in Kansas this week visiting local small businesses, meeting with constituents and cheering on my son’s basketball team. Tuesday I was honored to spend time with the Kansas Livestock Association at their legislative reception in Topeka. I had great conversations with the livestock producers at the reception about issues affecting their operations, ranging from burdensome environmental regulations to the need to expand international markets for beef.

Thursday morning I headed south to Fort Scott where I attended the local Chamber coffee in the morning. I talked about the need for job creation and fiscal responsibility in Washington and listened to the concerns of the business community in Fort Scott. The folks at Shelter Insurance were great hosts and I look forward to visiting with the Fort Scott Chamber again soon. After that, Fort Scott Community College Director of Development Daryl Roller gave me an informative tour of campus. Before leaving town, we swung by the Rotary Baked Potato Feed at the Scottish Rite Temple, where I enjoyed lunch and got a quick tour of the historic theater upstairs. My compliments to the chili chef!

I also had the opportunity to attend a presentation about the budget situation in Kansas while I was home this week. As you know, Kansas is facing an almost $400 million budget shortfall. While I cannot vote on a budget for the State of Kansas, I can do my best to prevent the federal government from making it even harder on all states.

I am home every weekend, so if there is an event you would like me to attend, please contact my Topeka office at (785) 234-5966 or my Pittsburg office at (620) 231-5966.

Revamping Weekly Update
In an effort to keep you informed about what I am doing in Washington, I would like to know how I can improve my weekly update. Please click here to send your thoughts and I will be sure to keep your concerns and ideas in mind as I work to improve my communications with you.
FOLLOW ME ONLINE




This email address is unattended. To email Congresswoman Jenkins please click here.


Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Congress is currently working on another economic stimulus plan, and I want to know what you think should be included.

Tax cuts for small businesses, expanded trade and spending restraint

A second stimulus like the one passed last February

Unsure

*By answering this survey, you are subscribing to my newsletter.

If you are having trouble, click here.

E-MAIL UPDATES

Yes, please periodically send me e-mail updates.*

Click Here

*By subscribing to my
e-mail updates, you are authorizing me to send regular e-mail updates from my office to your e-mail account.

Please Feel Free to Tell a Friend
E-mail:
E-mail:
E-mail:


Contact Info
Washington, DC Office
130 Cannon HOB
Washington, D.C. 20515
Phone: (202) 225-6601
Fax: (202) 225-7986 Pittsburg Office
701 N. Broadway Street
Pittsburg, KS 66762
Phone: (620) 231-LYNN (5966)
Fax: (620) 231-5972 Topeka Office
3550 SW 5th Street
Topeka, KS 66606
Phone: (785) 234-LYNN (5966)
Fax: (785) 234-5967

No comments: