Sunday, February 14, 2010

D.C. Snow Storm Forces House to Cancel Votes (Your Pocketbook is Safer for Another Week)
Two rounds of snow storms blanketed Washington, D.C. under nearly three feet of snow over the past few days so votes were canceled in the House this week. While meetings and hearings will have to be rescheduled, and we’ll all have to play “catch-up” when Congress returns, one thing for certain is your pocketbooks are temporarily safer because of this snow storm.

Despite pledging to take a new fiscally responsible direction, President Obama continues forward with his big spending agenda. While I continue to agree with 90 percent of what he says, I find myself disagreeing with about 90 percent of what he does. I simply don’t see how you can propose a $3.8 trillion budget that puts our nation $1.6 trillion further in debt next year and claim to be fiscally responsible. The reckless spending in Washington is hurting our economy and stifling job creation.

While the House passed another “stimulus” plan in December that looked very much like the one passed last February, the Senate is taking a different approach. There is not a finalized bill in the Senate, but it appears they are focusing on targeted relief to small businesses to encourage job creation. I am encouraged to hear that and hope to see a fiscally responsible plan. Whatever legislation emerges from the Senate, though, I will continue working with my colleagues on solutions to create jobs.

Accepting Entries for the 2010 Congressional Art Competition
The Congressional Art Competition is a wonderful opportunity to recognize and showcase the talents of high school students across the Second District. I recently opened this year’s competition and am accepting entries from all high school students in the Second District. The winning entry in the competition will be displayed in the United States Capitol for one year. I look forward to seeing our talented students’ artwork, and I hope many participate in this year’s competition.

The deadline for submitting artwork is 5:00 p.m. on Friday, April 16, 2010. All submissions must be received at my office in Topeka at 3550 SW 5th Street, Topeka, Kansas 66606. The winning entry will be announced at a reception on Saturday, May 1, 2010, at the Topeka and Shawnee County Public Library located at 1515 SW 10th Avenue, Topeka, Kansas 66604. I encourage students, parents and teachers to attend the reception. Please call my Topeka office at 785-234-LYNN (5966) or visit my website for more information.

Spending Time in Kansas
It was great to have extra time at home to meet with Kansans this week since votes were canceled in Washington because of the snow storms. On Monday I spoke to the Kansas Motor Carriers Association board of directors about legislation affecting their businesses, including cap and trade, card check, the economy and health care. We had a great discussion about these and other issues. Tuesday morning I was honored to give the keynote address to the Kansas Bankers Association public affairs conference. We discussed financial regulatory reform in the House Financial Services Committee and other issues affecting the financial markets.

Wednesday morning I had a great meeting with Tom Thornton with the Kansas Bioscience Authority to discuss NBAF and how important this project is to our state and to our nation’s security. I also attended the “Gateway to Success” event hosted jointly by the Manhattan, Topeka and Lawrence Chambers of Commerce. It was great to hear from KU Chancellor Bernadette Gray-Little, K-State President Kirk Schulz and Washburn President Jerry Farley about how their universities are working together to generate economic development here in Kansas. We are fortunate to have such great universities in the Second District, and it was an honor to attend this event. I was also able to stop by the Kansas Credit Union’s legislative reception and discuss issues affecting their financial institutions in our state.

I will be in Kansas next week during the President’s Day congressional work period so if there is an event you would like me to attend, please contact my Topeka office at (785) 234-5966 or my Pittsburg office at (620) 231-5966.
FOLLOW ME ONLINE

No comments: